Arizona is known during the summer time for its scorching temperatures. Not only can it feel like you are a Thanksgiving turkey baking in a high temperature oven, the heat can be dangerous and even deadly. When traveling to work, running errands, shopping etc., it is vital that your vehicle’s AC not only work, but work well.
Are You Experiencing Hot Air When You Turn Your AC On?
Most times the issues that cause your car air conditioning not to work or not work adequately, develop over time and can go undetected until you are sweltering in your car and hot air is blowing at you. When this happens AC repair becomes and immediate requirement, but can become quite costly, depending on the issue at hand. It can be an issue that cannot be left un repaired, unless you want to drive around in a sauna sweating like a pig. If you have kids or elderly that travel in the vehicle, driving without AC is not an option.
I Keep Up On Regular Maintenance Checks, Why Didn’t I know There Was An AC Issue?
Some of you may be thinking if you keep up on regular car maintenance why is it you didn’t know there was an AC issue? The fact is most maintenance and repair is centered around your car’s engine and ensuring it runs smoothly and properly. It is important that you follow your manufacturers maintenance recommendations on what to have checked and when. Understanding some of the overlooked causes of car AC issues, will also not only keep you alert, but assist you in diagnosing AC problems before they turn into an expensive repair.
5 common Auto AC issues
- Moisture Is Not Your Friend- Your cars AC does it’s job by cooling the air inside and releasing the hot air back outside. Not only does this lower the temperature inside your vehicle it also takes the moisture out of the air so that you aren’t left feeling like your sitting in front of a swamp cooler in some humid place trying to fan yourself with your cars manual. What happens when debris and moisture clog the AC and your AC is not able to perform right? You guessed it, your left with the swamp cooler effect and extensive repairs if you don’t have your system checked immediately. The AC system will struggle and over work to push out the trapped moisture and debris causing more issues than just that sticky humid air blowing at you. No Thank You!
- Foul Odors- Your car smells bad. Although you cleaned out your kids sweaty sports equipment and bought a new air freshener, it’s just not helping. Chances are it’s your AC unit. Because your AC filters out moisture it is often a damp place. During the cooler months when your AC is left untouched the leftover moisture is the perfect breeding ground for bacteria, fungi, and other not so pleasant organisms. Not to mention who wants to breathe in smelly air! In fact, if left untreated it can actually make you and your passengers sick. Having your AC system flushed early enough can help protect you against issues caused by bacteria.
- Take Your Car in For An AC Assessment- Often times the cause of AC problems are caused by a mechanical issue. Think AC Compressor, compressor clutch, expansion valve, accumulator etc. To most these probably sound like words in a foreign language. What are all those things and where do you even begin? Having an AC assessment done by a experienced mechanic, like the team at J&J Auto, can help save you from a big headache. Maintaining the many parts of your AC’s mechanical system can make ALL the difference. When these parts are monitored and repairs or other issues are caught early enough you will find that your repair bill will is a lot more friendly to your pocketbook.
- Refrigerant Levels & Leaks- Your AC runs on refrigerant like your vehicle’s motor runs on motor oil. Low levels can create mega problems and repairs that could have been prevented. In general about 15% of your refrigerant is reduced yearly because of dried out seals, usage etc. Not only does the AC need refrigerant it, also uses a type of gas in the refrigerant tanks. Most times you car’s AC system needs to be flushed with gas and have refrigerant added to keep levels where they need to be. Our mechanics here are happy to provide an AC assessment that encompasses all parts of your AC. We suggest scheduling one as soon as possible, after all the temps here in Phoenix have already reached the triple digits! Make sure your car AC is working up to its full potential through the summer!
- Condenser Check- Your AC condenser is responsible for cooling the refrigerant that comes out of the compressor. If the condenser has any type of blockage it will not allow the cooling job to get done. Replacing a faulty compressor or having an experienced professional flush the system can make a big difference and often be a lot more cost friendly then having to replace or repair the whole system. It goes back to having that auto AC assessment done. Your goal is to catch small problems before they become much bigger ones!
Being aware of these 5 common AC issues that can help combat AC repair cost, excess of repairs etc. J&J Auto Service suggests that you schedule an AC assessment at the beginning of every summer or end of Spring to ensure you go into the hot months with adequate Air Conditioning. Stop in today or give us a call here and we will help to keep things cool!